Saturday, April 13, 2013

Quick Look! Spring Season 2013

Unlike the past year, this spring season is pulling me in with more shows that look to be fairly interesting. And, luckily enough, Crunchyroll has nearly all of them streaming, so that's great! A few, though, are sequels so it would be best to take a look at the first season before continuing onto the next one, such as Oreimo and Uta no Prince-sama (even I have to go back and watch Uta no Prince's first season). So let's take a look.

Yamato 2199
Okay, to be fair this one is a remake and isn't streaming on Crunchyroll, but it's a continuation of a classic and looks to be a really awesome one at that. It's very much like the original, in that there will be the Yamato space colony designed to protect humanity and, of course, the evil aliens to be fought. I would give it a watch just to see how they're doing it this time and how they plan to handle some classic material.

Karneval
This one has been in my newsfeed for promotion for about two seasons, so needless to say I'm looking forward to see if it lives up to that hype. The animation looks pretty nice, and the story is somewhat fresh as well, though it seems to be following off the "who am I" trope that most stories do these days. I'm not saying its a bad thing, as when done correctly it can really make an anime interesting. Besides, I don't think a circus themed Defense Agency in space has even been done yet. Karneval is being streamed by Funimation.

Attack on Titan
I actually don't know much about the story on this one, but the art style seems to stick so much to what I've seen of the manga that it looks really interesting. The manga, from what I can tell, goes with a grittier feeling, which I hope will translate over well from stills to animation. Attack on Titan is streaming on Crunchyroll.

HENNEKO ~ The Hentai Prince and Stony Cat
The manga this is based off of is still ongoing, and from what my friend explained to me starts off humorous and gets a little more serious. It starts off with a male protagonist who can't help but say anything perverted, painting him in a bad light, and a girl who wishes she wouldn't feel sad any more making a wish upon a stone cat said to grant wishes. The comedic bit I thought it would take would be for them to switch personalities but...they end up with worse ones instead and embark on a quest to regain who they really are. HENNEKO is streaming on Crunchyroll.

Arata the Legend
I only found out about this one when I visited Studio Satelight's website not too long ago. Based upon a manga by the same author that did Ceres, and animated by my favorite studio, it was hard to pass up. The story follows a world in which gods exist, and the shenanigans that one boy must endure...and most likely romance as well. Arata the Legend is streaming on Crunchyroll.

It seems I just keep adding more and more to my queue to see how they turn out, but as I said, this season is stacking up to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment